- SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol.
- SOAP is a protocol.
- SOAP uses HTTP and SMTP transport protocol.
- SOAP supports only XML format.
- Using HTTP, SOAP model can tunnel to across firewalls and proxies without any modification to the SOAP protocol.
- SOAP is more secure as compare to REST because it uses own security model.
- SOAP supports WS-Security and ACID transactions.
- Sending message using XML is costly in terms of actual data being sent.
- REST stands for Representational State Transfer.
- Rest is an architectural style.
- REST uses HTTP transport protocol.
- REST support Text, JSON, XML formats.
- REST is completely stateless means it treat each web request independently.
- Rest does not store information of the previous request.
- Restful services provide a good caching mechanism over HTTP GET method. This can improve the perfoŕmance if the data does not change frequently.
- REST uses uniform interface to interact with all the components.
- REST inherit security from underlying transport (Http, Https).
- Sending message using JSON is cheaper in terms of actual data being sent.