- ASMX web service uses SOAP over HTTP only for sending and receiving messages.
- ASMX web service can be hosted in IIS only.
- ASMX web service uses XmlSerializer.
- ASMX web service provide limited security.
- WCF service uses SOAP over any transport protocol (HTTP, TCP/IP, MSMQ, Named Pipes etc) for sending and receiving messages.
- WCF service can be hosted in IIS, WAS (Window Activation Services), Console, WinNT service and WCF provided host.
- WCF service uses DataContractSerializer.
- WCF service follow a Consistent programming model.